If you own a home with an impressive backyard or outdoor space, chances are, you want to put it to good use! However, if you choose the wrong furniture for your outdoor space, you and your family or house guests may never use it. As your real estate team, we are here to offer you some tips on how to choose your outdoor furniture wisely.
- Choose a style. The easiest way to do this is to think of your outdoor deck or patio as an extension of your home. If your home is neutrally decorated, a wild, colorful outdoor room probably won’t stand the test of time. If you’ve got a beachy theme going on inside, use it outside as well. Your best bet is to decorate your outdoor space like your indoor space, because you’re more apt to use it!
- Measure. You’ve got a lot to consider when choosing furniture that actually fits and looks good in your outdoor space. Measure your deck, patio or yard to see how much space you can work with. Consider traffic flow, don’t block doorways, and don’t get too close to edges or stairs. Having your measurements will help you determine which furniture options will actually fit nicely in your space.
- Consider weather. If you’re up on a hill and get a lot of wind, you probably want to avoid lightweight aluminum. Too much Houston humidity might increase the chances or mold or mildew in upholstered cushions, but it will prevent wood or wicker furniture from cracking or splintering! Think about what type of furniture will go best with Houston weather, and if you want protection above it.
- Consider location. Think about where you will place your outdoor furniture and how that could impact your furniture options. If you are placing furniture on a stone or brick patio, don’t choose chairs with small feet that might get stuck. If putting furniture on grass, don’t pick something too heavy or bulky that might sink into wet ground. If your yard gets full sun, consider shade options for comfort.
- Get comfortable. Even if you plan on purchasing furniture online, it wouldn’t hurt to head into a showroom and test some furniture out. This will help you get a feel for what is comfortable and what isn’t, and what styles you like in person versus in photos. Jot down brands and item numbers so that you can do some bargain shopping online to see who offers it at the best price!
Check out this Home Channel TV Blog for more tips on choosing outdoor furniture. Have fun with it so you can enjoy your outdoor space fully this summer in Houston!