If you’re hosting the winter holidays at your home, chances are, you’re looking for some helpful last-minute cleaning tips! The holiday season is a busy time, and sometimes, you don’t even know when a family or friend will pop over. The Keller Williams Memorial real estate team is here to the rescue.
Next time you’re in the middle of wrapping a gift, or cooking a roast, and you need to hide your mess from an unexpected visitor, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Follow the path that your guest will take through your home. Don’t waste time cleaning places in your home that guests won’t see. Think about the places they will see. They’ll walk through the front door and see your foyer, likely your kitchen and dining area, your guest bathroom, living area, anywhere else?
- Make your home smell delicious. In the olden days, a guest might be greeted with the smell of a fresh apple pie in the oven. You may not have time for that, but you can fake it with holiday-scented candles, air fresheners or essential oils!
- Get rid of dirty dishes. There isn’t anything that says messy like a sink full of dirty dishes. You’ve got a few options here. If you have time, clean and put in strainer, or dry and put away. If you don’t have time, stick them in the dishwasher and run it. As a last-case scenario, stick them in the oven and set an alarm to remind you they’re there later.
- Clean the bathroom. Almost every guest will use your bathroom at least once, so there really isn’t any way around cleaning it. To clean in a hurry, use a microfiber cloth to run over everything, put away anything that is cluttering the sink, use water to get grimy spots, and replace your hand towels.
- Vacuum and sweep last. While cleaning, you’re bound to get floors dirty again unless you wait to do that last. Be sure to focus on the middle of the rooms, where guests’ eyes will fall first. If you’re short on time, skip corners and baseboards.
- Set the mood with lighting. If you don’t have dimmer switches, use lamps and candles for mood lighting. Overhead lighting can make a space look harsh, and highlight dust, but lamps are more forgiving. Plus, you can turn on only the ones in areas you want guests to focus on.
We understand that the holiday season is a busy time for everyone, but we also know that the Houston real estate market is never put on pause! If you still want to achieve your home-buying and/or home-selling goals this holiday season, contact us, the Keller Williams Memorial team! We are here to help, always!