It’s summer in Houston! If you regularly have people over for summer pool parties or barbecues at your home, or you’re gearing up to sell your home this summer, there are some easy, affordable DIY projects that you could dive into. As your local real estate team, we’re here to offer you suggestions that won’t only make your home look better, but will also increase its home value!
Here are a few to consider for the summer season in Houston:
- Landscaping – Landscaping is one of the top three investments that add value and have a high return on investment. First, focus on a healthy, vibrant lawn. Trim your bushes, trees and shrubbery. Then, plant perennial flowers and plants that will brighten up your yard, that are native to this region, and that are drought-tolerant. This will save you the most money in the long-run!
- Front Door – Updating the front door of your Houston home is the top investment for ROI and increased home value! The front door sets the tone of the house. Make a memorable first impression with a new, modern front door. If you don’t replace the door, at least upgrade it with refinished wood, a new paint job, and polished or new hardware and hinges.
- Outdoor Lighting – Your guests will appreciate this in the evenings, and your house will make heads turn as people drive by at night! Outdoor lighting keeps you, your family and guests safe, it adds a layer of security, and it enhances the aesthetics. You can choose whether to focus on walkways, to add motion-activated perimeter lighting, or to light up your landscape features. Lots of options!
- Pressure Washing – When was the last time you washed the outside of your Houston home? It gets dirty over time, just like any other surface, with dust, dirt and debris. Rent or purchase a power washer, read the directions carefully, turn off power to exterior electrical outlets and cover them, and have at it! There is special detergent you can use for extra grimy areas.
- Fire Pit – Adding a fire pit to your yard is a cheap, simple way to get more use out of your outdoor space this summer. These poll well among potential homebuyers as well, which is important! A basic DIY fire pit could cost as little as $150. Of course, if you wanted to go all out, you could create a gas line, a patio around it, or a whole outdoor kitchen!
For more tips on DIY projects that increase home value, check out this RISMedia article. When ready to sell your home this summer, or when ready to buy in the Houston real estate market, contact us. The Keller Williams Memorial real estate team is standing by, ready to help!