Who could give you first-time buying tips better than a first-time buyer? As your Houston real estate team, we found this article from PopSugar very enlightening. While some of the tips are common with home-buying advice, some are more out-of-the-box than you’re used to hearing and could definitely come in handy!
Here are some of our favorites:
1. If you’re buying a home with your significant other, it’s wise for each of you to write a list of things that you need and want in a home, and that you don’t want in a home. Create your lists separately, and then discuss them. This might lead to some serious negotiations and compromises, but it’s so important! Once you’re clear on what type of home you want, your search will get easier.
2. Look for a house that suits the lifestyle you have, not the lifestyle you want. Often, homebuyers fall in love with homes outside their means, or with features that they don’t really need. If you don’t ever garden, or you don’t love mowing grass, don’t choose a home with a huge lawn and intricate landscaping. Unless you want the cost and maintenance of a pool, don’t purchase a home with one.
3. Drive around the Houston neighborhood that you’re interested in. If you’ve got a few, do this with each one. Talk to neighbors who are walking by and ask questions about the HOA if there is one, noise levels, nearby amenities, or whatever else you wish to know. Calculate your commute times from the neighborhood to your work at different times of the day.
4. Choose a Houston real estate agent that you can trust, with good experience and credibility. Communicate as clearly as you can with them about what you are looking for as a buyer. If you feel like your agent is trying to make your decision for you, drop them. They may have interests outside of your own, especially if they are the seller’s agent as well.
5. Don’t feel compelled to set your new home up as soon as you buy it. It costs a lot to buy a home, and it takes time. It’ll just cost more, and stress you out, to think about furnishing each room and completing all of the upgrades you want. Take your time transforming your new house into the home of your dreams. This is all part of the fun!
For more first-time homebuyer tips, from a first-time owner, check out the rest of the PopSugar article advice. When you have more questions, contact us, your local real estate team! We are standing by, ready to help in every way that we can. Buying your first home can seem overwhelming, but it’s also very exciting. Let us help make it a memorable, joyful experience for you!