Summer is a wonderful season in Houston, full of sunshine, days at the pool, barbecuing, beach getaways and a hot real estate market. But summer also means high heat, humidity and bugs. With that comes some summertime annoyances as a homeowner. But have no fear, your Keller Williams Memorial real estate team is here to help you out!
Here are some common summer issues and how to deal with them:
- Mosquitoes are no fun, and they get in the way of a relaxing night on your deck or patio. Clean gutters is a good place to start, as this is a common breeding ground for bugs! They don’t like wind, so installing ceilings fans or plugging in a fan will help as well.
- Doors can often stick in the summer, when they swell and outgrow their jambs. Try tightening the hinge screws, scaling back the weather stripping or shaving down the door a bit as a last resort.
- Fruit flies in the kitchen are the worst. You just want to enjoy fresh summertime produce! Keep sinks, drains and disposals free of food crumbs. Wash dishes and put away immediately. Freeze food waste until garbage day, and eat produce before it’s overripe. Pour boiling water down your drain.
- Slamming screen doors will give you a headache. If you’ve got a screen door that is constantly getting slammed with people going in and out, adjust your door, add a closer to an older screen door, or apply pads to the door frame. No more slams!
- Dry, browning grass is an ongoing issue, but keeping it green and lush seems daunting, right? Sharpen or replace your mower blades, set the blade height to three inches so water can be absorbed in the grass before evaporating, and water less frequently, but for longer periods.
- If your garbage stinks more than usual in the summer, give your trash cans a good scrubbing to begin with. Then, each time you take the trash bag out, swipe your can clean. You could also dust the bottom with baking soda or cat litter, or slip a dryer sheet in.
- If your home has a musty smell to it, use a dehumidifier and keep the air conditioner running, both which help dry up humidity. Fans help keep the air circulated as well. Get rid of clutter. Waterproof your basement with cement paint. Call in the pros if the smell doesn’t go away.
For more remedies for summertime annoyances in the home, check out this HouseLogic article. For getting rid of summertime smells in the home, check out this article.
Enjoy summer in your home! When ready to buy or sell in the Houston real estate market, contact us. The Keller Williams Memorial real estate team is here to help. We’ll take you from one A/C building to the next, until we together accomplish your goals! Give us a call.