Do you feel like 2017 is going to be the year that you buy the home of your dreams? As Houston local real estate agents, we can help you out with the entire home-buying process! This will ensure that you have a team of professional, experienced agents working to find you the best deal on the market, to best meet your needs.
While we’ve still got a few months to go before the New Year arrives, along with numerous holidays still to come, there are steps you can take now that will make your home-buying process run smoother and faster once 2017 does arrive! Here are steps Trulia recently recommended for future buyers:
- Check your credit score. The higher your score, the better interest rate you’ll receive on a mortgage. Typically, a score of 740 or higher is best. Scoring a low rate can save you thousands of dollars on your mortgage payments! If your score falls short, check your credit report for errors, and work toward improving your score by paying down debt, paying bills on time and disputing report errors.
- Don’t open new credit cards. Even though the holidays are upon us, opening a new credit card right before applying for a mortgage can hurt your chances of qualifying, or of getting the best rate if you do qualify. Stick to the credit cards you already have, and continually pay off your balance when you use them. Don’t overspend this holiday season! Consider your future home purchase your gift this year.
- Suggest financial gifts. If you exchange gifts with family members or friends, let them know that financial gifts would be greatly appreciated. The down payment of a home is a hefty amount of money, not to mention closing costs, moving costs, inspection costs, etc. Bulking up your emergency fund is key!
- Interview real estate agents. You don’t want to go with the first name you see and hope for the best. Ask friends or neighbors for referrals. Look for agents with positive reviews and impressive online presences. We have a whole team of qualified real estate agents waiting to offer their assistance here at Keller Williams Memorial, we’d love to set you up with the agent that is right for you!
- Find a mortgage lender. Rates fluctuate, and so do the rates that local mortgage lenders offer. Just like with finding an agent, it’s important to find a lender that is trusted by the community, that friends or neighbors recommend, and that offer you the best interest rate. At Keller Williams Memorial, we can also offer you suggestions for lenders in the Houston area!
- Get pre-approved. Why wait? The sooner you’re pre-approved for a mortgage, the sooner you can start looking for your dream home in Houston without worrying about looking outside your budget. When you find the home you want to purchase, sellers will take you more seriously if you are pre-approved. Plus, the process might take a while, as there is lots of paperwork involved. Get it over with!
If you have questions, or you’d like to start interviewing some real estate agents, or you’re ready to get started on the home-buying process now, contact us here at Keller Williams Memorial! We want to help you!