So you want to sell your home this spring? As your local real estate team, we are here to offer you a timeline to follow! It’s important to keep in mind, however, that you don’t have to follow this timeline to a T. If you want to sell your home right away, we can help you with that. If you want to wait a year, you can still gain knowledge from this list. Check it out and keep it in mind!
What you can do now:
- Pick a date to sell. If you have to sell for a job relocation, or before the birth of a new family member, this is your date. If it’s more up in the air, choose a date that sounds good to you, and that gives you time to prepare and plan. This will help you stick to your goals and timeline.
- Research your market. Find out what homes similar to yours are selling for right now in the Houston real estate market. Get a feel for what your competition is, how fast homes are selling for, and the difference between listing and sold prices. We can help you with this! Browse listing photos and gain some staging inspiration.
4-6 weeks out:
- Hire a local real estate agent! Here are Keller Williams Memorial, we’ve got plenty of options for you. Start interviewing candidates, sign a listing agreement and set up a marketing plan. Ask questions about current market conditions, listing prices, how to stage your home, curb appeal, etc.
- Prepare your home for a sale. Remove as much clutter as you can. Deep clean everything, from the walls and windows, to inside closets, the basement and garage. Fix simple issues, upgrade outdated cosmetic details, consider repainting walls if needed, and stage to sell.
- Plan your move. Where are you moving to? If you need to buy, make a timeline for that. Decide where you’ll live if your home sells before you buy. Purchase a storage unit and move clutter or extra furniture and personal items there. Let neighbors know you’re moving, tell them to spread the word!
2-3 weeks out:
Get your finances straightened out. Get your loan payout information, figure out what you owe and what your sales proceeds will be. Clear up liens on the property. Ask your agent what else you should have organized and straightened out before selling!
Time to sell:
- Market and list! Once your home is looking its best, it’s time to have professional photos taken, which your agent will set up. Then the home will be listed on all major online sites. Keep your house clean the entire time that it’s on the market, for spontaneous showings and open houses.
When the offers roll in, we’re here to help you negotiate with buyers on price, closing agreements, time frames and more. We’ll be here to help you and guide you every step of the way.
As soon as you are ready to sell and find an agent, or if you have questions, contact us, your Houston real estate team. We are here for you!